Monday, December 01, 2003

Hamster's CD Reviews and More Thoughts

It's the first day of December! Which means a dozen of things, like the air getting colder, although it's more like freezing actually, and my room becoming just plain warm instead of downright unbearable. I can also expect the reemergance of Christmas Caroleers ( Carolers? Carollers?? Ah hell, whatever... ) and the Christmas songs in the malls. It also signifies that I only have 14 days left before I get plucked out of my beloved Manila, but lets not dwell into that. Christmas is a time of joy and happiness, not for melencholial sadness (uy, nagkatunog! ). It is also the time for the shopping spree to hit fever pitch, as I see lots of people buying gifts for the yuletide season as if the end of the world is at hand.

Speaking of shopping, 1st of December also signifies that my monthly "wages" are now available to me and, after withdrawing, I headed down to my fave music shop to browse some cool new tunes. So I'm gonna do a little review on the 3 CDs that I bought.

First up is Lampano Alley, a filipino style blues music album. Two words says it all: it rocks! Having been slightly attuned to blues music ( years of listening to dad's collection ), I was surprised to hear a clear no nonsense sounds from this semi all filipino group. The frontman, Binky Lampano delivers a strong voice reminescent of blues era, with the likeness of Nat King Cole, while the only white dude, "Tomcat" Colvin, does the counterpoint with his harmonica. Great for those lazy sunday afternoons and perhaps a totally new background music for the senses.

Next is the Anton Ramos' newest album, The Chillout Project: House Sessions. What can I say, the man is totally friggin' genius, already blowing me away with his other album, The Chillout Project: A Soundtrack to Modern Life. Now, having heard his new compilations made me think this filipino dude is probably God in disguise, what with his awesome tracks to bounce the senses. Definitely a must have for all lounge junkies.

Lastly, feeling a little nostalgic, I bought the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album, aptly titled Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits. This band was my choice since the dawning years of high school and the early years of college. Having listened the songs of "Give It Away" and "Suck My Kiss" reminded me that Red Hot was, and is still is, my rock band of choice, with A Perfect Circle and the now defunct Rage Against the Machine coming close second. Besides, Flea totally rocks in all their videos, and being a bassist myself, it's really good to have icon to set your standards to.

So there you have it, my CD reviews by the Hamster. What's next in line? Perhaps the Pikpikan album by a filipino group, the new A Perfect Circle album and probably another lounge cd, perhaps the mucho pricey Hed Kandi album. Ah well, if I can scrounge up enough moolahs to buy the albums that is.

Today was also the birthday party of one of my friends, whose sister I know who has huge crush on me. How do I know? Well, I actually overheard the "interesting conversation", what with me at the right place at the right time. And also utilising my unwholesomely sharp ears, of course, hehe. It was a fun get together, although didn't stay long since I had to make "hatid" my partner, whose dad is a living volcano of temper. One of the cons of a Kuya I guess. Ah well, it true that they say that all good things in life must come to an end, sad as it may be.

The guys over the Hobby Store had it out and decided the Despidida Tourney to be held on this Sunday. Cool way to see us off, a tournament where I'll probably end up as chopped liver. Ah well, one last bash for the mighty orc horde, as with one last charge for Sir Bob's Bretonians.

This Wednesday is gonna be a problem though, as I have a 4k game with Alex which I'll probably withdraw because I have to chaperon Mossimo Girl to one of her modeling practices. Usually I don't even go with her, but the practice venue this time is Adamson College and, well, the amount of male persons ogling her is enough to scare her dad and mum into asking for bodyguard of sorts, in which case would be me, the sacrificial pig. Again, the curse of the Kuya is acting up, and yes it's good to be trusted and all but it's totally overrated. It sucks big time.

Which means the challenge for Alex would be moved to Friday and I have my Thursday challenge against the Druchii or the Dark Elves. Everybody is itching to get me for one last time, probably just to get back to all the times I caused grief and horror everytime I released one of my Fanatics. Yup, you'll not probably understand what the hell I'm talking about. Boo hoo to you, I guess, hehe.

It's been at least three months since I started writing this weblog, and I can say I feel a weight lifted off me as write stuff that I care about and joke about things that probably I alone know the punchlines. Love to write, it's been in my blood and, just now, knowing that Hobby Girl has already published a book sets my blood into a frenzy.

One day, I will get published.

One day, I will get my own business started and come back here in Manila.

One day, I will get me a cool girlfriend, one I know that God has provided for me.

One day, I will have the One Ring, and I will rule the world.

This is me, Raf the Hamster, just thinking out loud.

State of Mind: Frezied Thoughts
Song of the Day: Fade ( Earth Mix ) by Solu Music feat. Kimblee
Lampano Alley: 4 / 5 stars
Chillout Project: House Sessions: 5 / 5 stars
Red Hot Chili Peppers: Greatest Hits: 4.5 / 5 stars







One day, pigs might fly also.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home