Saturday, May 15, 2004

Lost Adrift on Saturday Night With A Kid and A Tiger For Company

There are times when I feel my loneliness crushing my soul; literally sending my spirit to the void of emptiness where it falls down forever in the pits of the desolate, the abyss of which it is silent and unforgiving. This is one of those times, where it is Saturday night and I'm here alone in my room...no, my house because everyone from family to the hired help has gone out for the evening. I'm literally alone.

It's one of those times I can scream freely with no one to complain. And it's one of those times that I can't help but think what the hell I am doing. Then, after some thought and reconsidering the stupidity of just screaming the night away, I sat down and took comfort in my books. I never consider myself a scholar, as some people absurdly think when I talk endlessly about this book and it's ramifications of today's society. Bookish perhaps, but absolutely not a scholar. I leave that superlicious title to the people who hasn't seen the light of day and with no social life ( although the latter part is fast coming true to me! Damnation!! ).

Anyways, I took stock at my collection and let myself be awed by the sheer number of volumes I collected over the years. From historical novels to comic books, non-fiction drama to thrilling fiction, sci-fi space opera to hard core fantasy; I got all genres represented, with the possible exception of romance. I've got to draw the line somewhere...

But seriously, one of my favorite books of all time is not even a fantasy book, and being fantasy buff myself is kinda weird. Of all the books in my collections, no one can teach me more about life then the comic "Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson. The book is just so full of wisdom and pure honest double meanings ( hehehe ). Even as an adult you can appreciate the hidden meaning in each of the comic strips, how it affects or has affected your life somewhat. I can't really explain it really, reading it is an experience to behold.

To quote Calvin...
"Life is like topography, Hobbes. There are summits of happiness and success... ...Flat stretches of boring routine... ...And valleys of frustration and failure."

Reading Calvin and Hobbes has helped me from losing to solitude. At the very least, it always helps me contain my sanity by laughing at the world and the absolute absurdity of it.

To again quote Calvin...
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."

Nuff' said.

State of Mind: Thoughtful...
Song of the Day: I Wish I Was by Heather Headly
Now Reading: Calvin And Hobbes: It's A Magical World
Favorite C&H qoute: "You know how people are. They only recognize greatness when some authority confirms it."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home