Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Dead In November: Updates and Thoughts

I'm back!

Ok, lotsa things happened, and sad to say I can't friggin remember all of them at the same time, considering I'm going through what seem to be mid term exams here. Three exams, from grammer to speech comprehension to hanzi writing. One down, two to go, and I can say the worst has already happened. We just finished hanzi writing this morning, and yeah, as expected I'll probably fail in that part. Coming from a country that uses the english alphabet as a medium of communication, trying to write what apparently look like chicken scratches is considered an art form here, and thus revered. I'm so screwed in that exam. And there's a speech exam to look forward to. Oh joy...

Might as well recap what happened since I last updated, which would take us back to last month. Here we go, and in no particular order...

We went to the Great Wall, and I can say it's an experience that is only meant to be endured once. Climbing up is a chore, but once you're up there you're treated with the excellent view to the Wall, which stretches to the distant horizons. It was cool, and makes you wonder the perseverance of man to create such a barrier spanning thousands of miles. Of course walking it is another thing. This time you wonder why the walkways are never straight, sometimes up, sometimes down, yet always steep and angles at different sides, kinda like a obstacle course. To be sure, the Chinese were prepared for any invasion from the Mongol Hordes with its steep walls and cannons dotting here and there, but even if an enemy does get past all of these, its hard to walk the breadth of the wall without having a accident or something. That's how tricky the wall is; navigating through would take all the concentration of a tightrope walker. Sheesh...
All Hollow's Eve party. To say the least, it was kinda successful, except for the hideous music the home DJ keep playing. Ever had a holloween party with latin music as background? The saving grace was a spur-of-the-moment decision to have a mock beauty contest, and that I think saved our faces. Well, the organizers I guess, not mine, because of what I was forced to wear. Me and my buddies decided to go all out and we hilariously went as the now defunct Spice Girls. Imagine the hottest hunks in campus dressing up as drag queens(my barkada, though usually I'm not a hunk and considered the intellectual/responsible one, the Kuya Factor playing its role. Even my older friends all call me Gege, or older brother. Damnation...) So we had to do the mock contest, everybody had a blast, and so the party was ok. Ah well, sacrifices sacrifices...

November came, and the temp level plunge down to 5 to 10 degrees. Thank God I'm husky (by comedian Rex Navarette's opinion), and be able to wear Tshirts outside while others are shivering in thier bubble jackets. Polar bear indeed...

Went to a tour in Gui Ling, a place down south. By train, it took us 26 hours to get there, whew. Gui Ling translates roughly for City Forest of Gui, a kind of tree. I think they should have renamed it to Hill City, judging by the number of hills that dot the city area. The places we went to are ok, hills and caves. The theme of the tour was "Use your imagination!", as we discover rock formations with likenesses, like a piece of silica with the uncanny likeness of Albert Einstein. Weird. Highlights include the Snake Pit where we got to watch a man get bitten voluntarily by a cobra...in the tounge! Then we get to hear his lecture about snakes and venom, after he finally got to speak of course (He was speaking in Chinese, but I think I understood part of it since I had the same lecture as a boyscout...an incision here, a bandage here etc etc etc). The Seven Star park was nice also, with a mini zoo inside. The ferry ride to the Yi River wasn't so good on the account of rain and it could have been better if the sun was shining. Low points was definately the food, tasteless as it is. Overall, the tour was ok, excellent even when compared to Mongolia. Next stop: Herbin and the Ice Festival this January!!!

Got back from Gui Ling, and things started getting hectic. Exams would start the next week, so studying was important, till now.

After the exam, all the filipinos gathered for the Philippine Star Photoshoot. It was a fun 30 minutes in the cold, and hopefully the article will be published by late December.
Plans are now being made for the upcoming Christmas Party, the first of three. This one is a Christmas party/Farewell party for those people finished with their schooling. The second one is in the Philippine embassy, and the third one is on Christmas Eve. As usual, I'm one of the organizers. Actually, there's the three of us, the Triumvate as I call it, and it's dirty job but someone's gotta do it. Hopefully, this time the party will be a blast.

Finally, I've fallen in love again. Yeah yeah, I can hear you thinking "hay...." but I guess that's kinda true. I like her a lot though, and tommorow's her birthday. I contemplating whether to buy her a gift and make my intentions known, or do nothing at all and leave her in peace, pining away at a distance, which I doing right now. Arrrgh...

In any case...in any case...er...I don't really know. We'll just see, eh?

State of Mind: Study Mode in 30 seconds...
Now Reading: Prelude to Foundation by Isaac Asimov
Song of the Day: I Will Fly by Ten2Five
Degrees outside: 5 degrees and dropping fast...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home