Friday, January 13, 2006

Narnia: The Hamster, the Idiot and the Office

Narnia fullfilled my expectations as one great movie, staying true to the book. I love the series, having read the books when I was just a small boy of eight. Indeed, I grew up substantiated on books, weaned on the writings of Franklin Dixon ( Hardy Boys ) and suckled on the mysteries of Arthur Conan Doyle ( Sherlock Holmes ). But it was the Narnia series that sparked my first love for the fantasy genre, even hiding everyday in my mum's stuffy closet to imagine a world where Aslan and the White Witch live and breathe and did battle, although I seem to remember having the cameo appearances of pirates, dinosaurs and, weirdly enough, Captain Barbell...

I forgot about C.S. Lewis' classic story when I reached high school and discovered Tolkien, Asimov, Lovecraft and duo of Weis and Hickman. High fantasy was in fashion those days, with Frodo and Conan paving the way for deeper understanding of the genre. Now, having watched the movie, twice I might add ( once with girlfriend and once with my cousins ) its like discovering your first love all over again. I really miss the books. Hmmm, where are those by the way....

C.S. Lewis' classic tale deals deeper understanding of the human faith, having been touted as a Christian scientist ( now where did I hear that? hmmm... ) Anyways, his series is usually about character development, like what happened to the Pevensies. They each have their doubts and weaknesses, and when the story progresses those doubts fall out and those weaknesses turned into strenghts. That is precisely what I like about Chronicles of Narnia, everybody in the end gets to be a little stronger and wiser. Now, if the rumours are true, I can't wait for the extended version. Now where the hell are those books?!

Anyways...

I had to fire someone today, and that always makes my day go bad. While yes, it's his fault and committed a grievious error, and yes, he's also a little windy, but sometimes I just hate to see someone go. I know that's its hard to find a good job these days but you just have to let someone cut loose if he can't keep up with the standards. He's an idiot if he thinks we don't know about it. And what's worse is that I might fire another one tommorow, if she can't come up with a good explanation why she's been AWOL these past three days. What really gets my thungas is that she's the wife of a friend and I made things happen just to get her a job. Now things are iffy, and I have to harden my heart if things get ... messy.

My problems in the office are piling up. To start off...

1. Hire new staff. Yep, even before firing the idiot, I'm already undermanned, which makes my decision this afternoon a little harder. And it takes weeks to train new people...

2. Arrange the Quarterly Managers Meeting. And it's just a month away and I still don't have the plans for it. Arrrgh...

3. Make rotation schedule for the staff. Yes, I can relate that being assigned to the outer branches can be a bitch, what more if you're there for three months? Not good...

Those are my top three concerns, with of course adds up to my daily dose of sales managing and customer complaints. Sometimes it's fun, but too much can really kill you...

State of Mind: Somewhat ok...
Song of the Day: Superproxy by Francism
Now reading: Enchanter's End Game by David Eddings
Fave Scene in Narnia: The Coronation of the Pevensies

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home