Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Pre-Birthday Thoughts: Looking at 25 Hamster Years

Tommorow's my birthday.

Tomorrow I'm taking the first step towards my second quarter of my life, leaving behind 25 years of memories. Thinking about those things that happened in my life, I find myself inevitably taking trip down memory lane and taking a second glance at things that happened to me. Some are good, some are bad and some are just plain ugly...

Early Childhood, Pre School: Hmm, I got my fear of cockroaches at this stage of my life. I used to remember hiding inside my blanket and shivering with fear as roaches crawled over my body and the thin cloth that seperates it. Gross I know, but that usual in our old house in Villa. Roaches, roaches everywhere.

I also read my first ever Playboy, stealing it from Dad collection. And no, I don't know how the process works at that time, only looking at the pictures and staring at her ha-ha's. Due to foggy memory, I forgot why...

Also at this time I fell into addiction to the written word, from newspapers to comics to pop-ups to cartoons...

Childhood, Elementary: The first three years I was one of the gifted ones, then the last three years reverted into the normal type, finding out there was more to life than grades and being a good boy. Not to say I was the bad boy, just someone in between. Though I did remember my dad beating my ass for uttering the F word in the house, even to the point of calling the school to complain of the lack of moral standards. Before that though...

In Grade One, like I said, I was one of the intelligent ones, concentrating in my studies. Nothing much here. In Grade Two I watched from the sidelines as three rival groups, aptly named as Voltron, Voltes V and the Superfriends, duke it out in a sumpit war, with ambushes during breaktime. Grade Three saw the groups in uneasy truce, almost going into normality, before the great typhoon that struck the nation and flooding the school in. Grade Four was a time of war again, a section war, two groups vying for position of the old fallen tree that fell down last grading, with small stones for choice of weapons. Grade Five I became one of the Blueboys, a group of very proud young boys, and met my two bestfriends, Earl and Gigi ( who was with the Pinkgirls ), who became a couple for years to come. Grade Six saw the group's abandonment, the reason of different idealogies, and the emergence of small groups. At this time, I don't really care anymore, and developed a cynical attitude in life...

Also at this time I stepped into Grade Three, I was reading a lot of Hardy Boys and Sherlock Holmes. The mystery genre will always be my first love...

Teens, Highschool: Ah, Highschool. Lots of things happened but I'll touch a few things here. The 1st year saw me groping past puberty, girls, new classmates etc. This was the year that CABS JT was formed, a solid group of young boys to, "ehem", uphold the standards of the school through the eyes of our senior, the TABS. 18 gangly, bursting with pimples, and proud boys took a solemn oath to defend that ideal. 2nd year saw us in competition with other groups in the school, namely in our batch. Our chief rival was the ALS-Lexcsor, a group of uppity girls. Others include the SKS, Ferge, Hackers ... and other such groups. 3rd year was a time of joy for me, having my first girlfriend. The first three weeks that is, the succeeding weeks were Hell ( to be disccused in the Ex-Files ). Joined the CAT officership, and became Captain, 6th in ranking. Earned the name Mooshi, and from henceforth became Capt. Mooshi ( long story, this one ). 4th year was graduation year, and through hard work, earned me a spot in University of the Philippines Visayas. Whew...basically the gist of my HS in very small summarization...

High school was a memorable period for me in the sense that this is where I discovered the fantasy genre. The first one I ever read was about Gord the Gutless, of the Greyhawk series. From that point on, I was hooked and started to read everything in the genre, from the works of Tolkien to Dragonlance to Forgotten Realms and others...

Teens, Iloilo, College: UPV campus is refreshing, first encounter with a terror teacher. Earned quite a small reputation as the loudest student in campus, a rep that's still holds true whenever there are reunions. Became Block Rep, sort of like a prez for the class, which means I'm going to enter politics. Entered my first political party, a newly formed SAG, and became one of its pioneers. Got back with my girlfriend, whom I broke up with last year. I think I was bamboozled into accepting her back, since we studied in the same school, in the same course, and even in the same block! Portents? Maybe...

College Years were a turning point for me, a sort of coming out of my shell. It also was the Hell Years, till I broke up with the Eater of Lies and got shipped to Manila...

Teens, Manila, College: The best years of my life! If coming out of my shell was my college years in the province, I was transformed in Manila. I learned my wisdom there, and earned a lot of very good friends from Hobby Store to the Community to my extended family. Became what I am today, and got addicted to tabletop gaming and other such interests. And at this point I tried reading anything interesting, no longer bound by the fantasy genre. Hence, the bibliophile is born...

Twenties, China: After Manila, went back home for some rest and then, after six months, got shipped into China. Met a lot of very good friends there, and surprisingly learned a lot of lessons about life, and not about the Chinese Language. Still, those lessons were invaluable...

Now, Province: After China, got back into the grind of work, work, work...

There you have it, in a nutshell. 25 years summarized in one blog entry. Sure, there are things I forgot, and things I don't care to elaborate or mention. Perhaps I'll touch this subjects in the later parts of the year. So far, these are just the highlights.

Oh well...those were the days. If asked what time I would choose to go back into, I'd choose the time I was in Manila. God I miss Manila...

Hay...

Anyways, it's just a couple of hours till my birthday. Excited? Hmmm, maybe. I dunno. At this point in my life, I just let things slide and observe them from afar...

State of Mind: Mindless Yearning
Song of the Day: Akin Ka Na Lang by Itchyworms
Now Reading: Lone Wolf and Cub, Volume 8 by Kozue Koike
Pre-Birthday Wish: One week vacation in Manila! And a Warmachine Menoth Set!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kyuzo said...

Happy Birthday Dude! Hope you have a good one! ;)

12:59 AM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger Pinoy Wargamer said...

Nakteteng MENOTH pa gusto mo?!? LOL! Hindi pa ba nabibigyan ng Motherland propaganda itong isang `to?

2:00 AM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger Big Hamster said...

KIM: Nabasa ko kasi yung Menoth fluff eh, astig! Religious Fanatics? Pwede! Hehehe, will try to buy one when I get back.

10:17 AM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger Kyuzo said...

Deny the Exemplars from the heathens!!! :D

12:18 AM, January 19, 2006  
Blogger Big Hamster said...

After much thought and tingin tingin sa forums, I changed my choice to go Cygnar, one for aesthetic reasons, and another for playing style. Once a grunt, always a grunt i say. Besides, para iba naman since konti lang cygnar players, hehe...

9:29 PM, January 19, 2006  
Blogger Pinoy Wargamer said...

LOL Trenchers and Long Gunners eh? Good good. Will see you on the opposite end of the table then - my red army will be waiting ^_^ (Khador jacks or Khorne daemons, your pick)

10:54 AM, January 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tsong, haba na ng blog mo ah.. hehe tinamad na akong basahin yung iba. Anyway, meron ng bagong libro si BOB ONG! "Stainless Longganisa" Tsaka sale ang powerbooks hanggang Jan. 30 swerte ng dating mo.

Belated Happy Birthday nga pala ulit. hehehe :D

11:49 AM, January 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home