Sunday, March 25, 2007

Law Grad, Pan and Hunting

::Law Graduation::

Last Saturday was a turning point in my relationship, as it was my girlfriend's graduation. Congratulations honey! Next up, the September Bar Exams, and then it's finally Atty. Ronstadt Fernandez! We might be in different working worlds, but rest assured I'm always right there at your side. Love you honey! I'm so proud!




::El Laberinto del Fauno::

For those who are lucky enough to grab and watch Pan's Labyrinth, you'll understand what I mean that this dark movie takes you into a rollercoaster ride into dark children's fantasy. This is probably one of darkest children's stories I've read or seen, right up to the original Grimm Brothers fairy tales ( which if you've read them, wouldn't be for children at all )



The storyline is gripping, and the violence abrupt and shocking ( see Death by Wine Bottle scene ). But what really makes the movie shine is the amazing cinematography set designs. And the creatures! As a big fan of Jim Henson's Workshop, I say that they created a whole new concept with their gritty designs.




Of all the characters, this one is my favorite. When the heroine Ofelia, played by Ivana Baquero, enters his chambers he just sits there, eerily doing nothing, hands on the table, but somehow is staring at her without eyes. Then when she eats the forbidden food, he comes alive and plucks his eyes from the table to his HANDS! Freakishly cool!



I recommend watching this movie in the dark and alone in the house. And if its for kiddies? Maybe, maybe not, but its one good haunting story.

::Book Hunter::

I am a book hunter, one of the few people who scrounge in bargain bookstores looking good books that are either out print or out of stock or both. There's a certain thrill in book hunting, one minute you're browsing idlely through the myriad stacks of dog eared musty volumes, the next you're gasping in awe in finding a hardbound Lord of the Rings in mint condition ( or muttering in bewilderment of the people responsible chucking out such rare and costly book ). What is one man's garbage is another man's treasure, as they say.

You'll know a book hunter is you see a quiet normal person randomly looking at the stock of books available and then grabbing one or two seemingly at random. Before you turn around, he already has a dozen volumes and plunks down the items in the cashier with a silly grin in his face. But it just might be me, hehehe.

Anyways, during one of the excursions in Booksale ( a noted hunting ground for good books ) I got me some nice selection:

Conan: At The Demon's Gate by Roland Green ( seeing that it was written by Roland Green, the one who did the Dragonlance: Knight of the Rose series, I'm curious to what he did with Conan, but I have my hopes this is a good one )

Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo ( I heard about this book, sci-fi goodness )

The First Book of Swords by Fred Saborhagen ( curious, I saw this plenty of times yet didn't picked it up till now )

Death Gate Cycle: Dragon Wing by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman ( The first book! Finally! Now, to find the other volumes... )

The Blind Knight by Gail van Asten ( Intriguing concept, a cursed blind albino becomes a force of good with the daughter of Merlin at his side )

Endless Quest: Wild Ride ( Cool! Need I say more? This and Choose Your Own Adventure rule! )

Lord Foul Bane and Wounded Land by Stephen Donaldson ( Another first! The former is the first book in the First Chronicle and the latter the first book in the Second Chronicles, both the stories of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. Very very nice. )

All in all, a good selection. Now all I have to do is find the time to read them. *Sigh*

Frame of Mind: Dizzy Melencholy
Song of the Day: Canon in D by Pachelbel
Book of the Week: Batman: Hush by Jeff Loeb and Jim Lee
Want or Need: A storyline for the CP awards

1 Comments:

Blogger Kyuzo said...

congrats and good luck to ronstadt!

ok sa pose hamster a! reminds me of a certain korean telenovela... Lolz.

12:19 PM, March 29, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home